Director Production Operations
DEVELOPMENT HIGH TROUGHPUT ATOMIC FORCE MICROSCOPY SYSTEM
Nearfield Instruments brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop a revolutionary high throughput atomic force microscopy (AFM) system, enabling atom-scale resolution 3D metrology at industry-level throughput. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced metrology machines.
What will you be doing ?
The Director of Production Operations (DPO) role is an excellent and challenging opportunity for an experienced and hands-on high-tech equipment production professional to shape, plan, build, establish and then lead NFI’s production operations. The DPO will be responsible for the day-to-day functions of the company’s production activities. This includes establishing and be end-responsible for the manufacturing (a.o. work processes, facilities, tooling), logistics (a.o. order processing/PMO, supplier management/QLTC, manufacturing planning, stock management) and QA/QC departments. By ensuring that the company uses the most efficient, effective, and economically viable methods for the manufacturing of NFI’s products, the DPO will get NFI ready for the imminent ramp-up of system production.
Specific Tasks And Responsibilities Include:
- Plan, establish and start NFI’s production operations (organizationally and practically) on schedule and within budget (including manufacturing, logistics and QA/QC departments).
- Prioritize, schedule and delegate work assignments, and directly supervise day-to-day operations to ensure goals are met. Ensure that all departments under Production Operations meet their performance expectations and work within their budgetary constraints.
- Plan and achieve new products/processes into manufacturing/logistics/quality control by procuring tooling, providing process documentation, coordinating training, ensuring proper installation and validation of new production processes.
- Drives continuous improvement initiatives focused on improving supplier performance, improving manufacturing and product quality, optimizing material flow, reducing production costs.
- Assist in the development of the short term and long-range strategies, plans, and budgets based on corporate goals and growth objectives.
- Develop, recommend, and upon approval, implement the operating budgets. Manage the budgets within the budgetary constraints. Analyze the report on variances between actual and budgeted expenditures.
- Lead and mentor direct reports, building their management and decision-making skills, continuously promoting a culture that is focused on success, and emphasizing respect, trust, and empathy in the workplace.
- Work closely with System Engineering and D&E departments in improving manufacturability, reducing purchased component costs, reducing product duplication and manufacturing costs.
- Develop capacity planning (facilities, tools and equipment, people) to meet current and future growth requirements.
- Drives recruitment of qualified personnel fitting to current and future growth requirements.
- Provide strategic direction, vision, and leadership to direct reports including coaching, mentoring, and developing.
- Conduct yearly performance evaluation in cooperation with team leaders.
- Support in the development of the MO unit through career planning discussions and strategic objective setting.
- Report directly to the COO.
Our future Director of Production (DPO) has sufficient experience as a senior systems engineer and leading a group of Systems Engineers in a working environment which, in terms of complexity, is in line with that of NFI. Experience in the field of semiconductor manufacturing equipment is a plus. Furthermore, you need to recognize yourself in the profile as described below
- A PhD. or MSc. in Engineering or Physics.
- 10 plus years of experience in leading a high-tech product manufacturing department in an industrial/commercial organization, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A proven track record in setting up a new high-tech product manufacturing unit in a fast-moving environment (organizationally and practically) on schedule and within budget.
- Strong planning and project management skills with the ability to work well under pressure and manage multiple projects and priorities.
- Knowledge and understanding of manufacturing control and scheduling with regards to workforce requirements and manufacturing schedules.
- Demonstrate the ability to drive for improvement of business goals and objectives through effective use of programs, tools, and resources.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of high-tech equipment manufacturing: specifically, fabrication, assembly, integration (hardware and software), and related processes (a.o. logistics, QA/QC).
- Creating and managing highly effective teams, both inside the department and cross functionally.
- Proven experience in developing and managing project schedules and budgets in a fast-moving environment.
- Measuring, reporting, and achieving engineering metrics.
- Managing MO related expenses, resource allocation and administration.
- Experience outsourcing and managing product development to contractors and solution suppliers.
Additional Knowledge And Skills:
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal & written. Ability to effectively communicate to top management, vendors, customers, and other employees of the organization.
- Excellent project management, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Excellent computer skills using Microsoft Office products, solid presentation skills including the ability to explain complex product manufacturing technologies and processes.
- Self-driven, works collaboratively; respectful, keeps a professional demeanor; capable of managing and avoiding conflict; results oriented with a clear focus on business profitability.
- A natural forward planner who critically assesses own performance.
- Manage and control manufacturing resources to produce products in an efficient/timely manner, at minimal cost that is consistent with established quality policies/procedures, product specifications and ISO requirements.
- Manage the functions of Production, Purchasing, Scheduling, and Manufacturing Engineering within the Manufacturing Department per procedures/policies to achieve cost reductions, efficiency improvements, product quality improvements, and capacity increases.
- Plans and achieves new products/processes into manufacturing by procuring equipment, providing documentation, coordinating training, ensuring proper installation, validation and piloting production of the process or equipment.
- Drives continuous improvement through equipment modernization projects, talent development initiatives and training, and process improvement plans.
- Provide the management team with timely and accurate reports of assessment of manufacturing metrics against organizational objectives.
- Assure high standard of departmental work through objectives, on-time performance evaluations and training programs.
- Monitor and assure a safe work environment within the department.
- Prepare and control annual operating expense departmental budgets.
- Manages long-range material requirements and makes recommendations for production capacity changes for operations.
What You Can Expect From Us
Besides a technically challenging role where you can utilize the full extend of your professional knowledge, we value your work-live balance and the time for some relaxation. Boost your energy by playing a match of table tennis or clear your mind during our weekly run with colleagues.
We rely on each other’s qualities, capabilities and we motivate one another to get the best out of ourselves and each other. We are here to support one another, and colleagues are there to help you. TEAM is very important, Together Everyone Achieves More!
We look forward to hearing from you !
please send your resume to mail@ManagingDirector.nl
reference Director Production Operations.
You will receive confirmation of receipt and we will forward your application directly.
enkele andere open posities
LARGEST GLOBAL BRAND IN PINEAPPLES | ZUID-HOLLAND
Manages the European supply chain and customer service.
Business Unit Director 2025
BEDRIJFSOPVOLGING | INGROEITRAJECT
Voor business unit of werkmaatschappij van familiebedrijven c.q. middelgrote ondernemingen eigendom van investeerders.